Sunday, January 19, 2014

Santa Unmasked

As you may have read in my previous post, I am bound and determined to get well ahead on the 2014 Christmas holiday season.  Last year was a disaster of unexpected changes and lack of time, so this year I want everything to be different.


Of course, I lack the follow-through to keep up an 11-month plan on my lonesome with my family obligations, work overflowing and generalized lack of leisure time.  That's why I have enlisted the invaluable help of the outstanding and amazing Rogue Crew, the Rogue Redhead Design Team, otherwise known as some of the best women I have ever known.  They, with me, founded the RRD Holiday Inspiration Club which will appear on the RRD blog on the third Saturday of each month with a new holiday prompt! 

http://rogueredheaddesigns.blogspot.com/2014/01/introducing-holiday-inspiration-club.html


This month we are working on One-Layer Elegance as our prompt as who wants to mess with complicated after all the fuss and celebrations of last month!

I've already made 7 unique cards and I did it all in one morning!  Not a bad way to start off a New Year!

Santa is a great ambassador of the holiday spirit!  If you;ve never looked up his origins, Saint Nicholas is a pretty interesting character.  Of course, the modern idea of Santa is a smushing together of a ton of different ideas, people and myths.  Check it out in Wikipedia if you don't believe me.

I love masking so these cards area all about Santa, after he is unmasked as it were.a

This first one was wicked simple.  I stamped good ole St. Nick (Christmas Cheer plate) in the center of a white piece of cardstock.  I stamped the image again on a re positionable note and cut it out and laid it over my original stamped image - totally basic masking technique.  I then stamped my Twaas the Night mini background from the same plate right over half of Santa.  I blocked off the edges with more re-positionable notes and sponged in some more color into the color block.  Easy peasy. 

Santa
Stamps: Santa, Twas the Night mini background and sentiment from Christmas Cheer plate
(Rogue Redhead Designs)
Cardstock: Whisper White (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Tuxedo Black (Memento); Scattered Straw and Wild Honey (Ranger Distress Ink); copic markers
Technique: basic masking
Other: repositionable notes

For the next one, I employed a little extra help from some Post-It Label and Correction tape which is the lazy person's way to mask off bits and pieces of artwork.  This one is the thicker kind but it comes in a number of different sizes including 1-line, 2-line and 6-line.  I can't wait to try this on some altered books but in the meantime I still had some more Santa ideas rolling around in my head.  I stamped and masked him again, this time with an oval mask.  I added the stripes and then had a ton of fun sponging in Spun Sugar Distress Ink, edging each section with Worn Lipstick and overstamping the Twas the Night mini background again, this time with Fire Brick Distress Ink  I used an aqua brush to add a little color to Santa's hat, face and beard.


Rosy Santa
Stamps: Santa, Twas the Night mini background and sentiment from Christmas Cheer plate
(Rogue Redhead Designs)
Cardstock: Whisper White (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Tuxedo Black (Memento); Scattered Straw and Wild Honey (Ranger Distress Ink); copic markers
Technique: basic masking
Other: repositionable notes, Post-It Label and Correction tape
Tools: aqua brush, oval cutter
Technique: basic masking

Close up of the background:



Want to play along?  Please join the Club and get your cards, tags and decor going before the rush!  We've even got a badge for those playing along.

http://rogueredheaddesigns.blogspot.com/2014/01/introducing-holiday-inspiration-club.html

Check out our post on the Rogue Redhead Designs

If you just love this Santa, the half plate he comes from - Christmas Cheer - is available until January 31, 2014 for its introductory price of US$10.00 (reg. US$15.00).

0 kind comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...