Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy Birthday to the U.S.A.!

Inspired by the Postcard Parade Issue over at Unruly PaperArts, I decided to create some postcard-sized art to say a quick happy birthday to America!


I started with simply stamping Dot from RRD's Milliner Misses with Memento Tuxedo Black ink in the center of a 4" x 6" piece of cardstock.  I then masked her and stamped the star from Carnival Dreams (also Rogue Redhead Designs...I know...you are totally surprised) seven times in the top left-hand corner.  I masked these images as well.



I then blocked out the portion of the postcard that I wanted to have a blue background, again that would be the top left-hand corner.  I set up my mask for this using the lines on my board, but then transferred the masked card to a piece of waste paper so I wouldn't get everything extra messy.



That's when I broke out the Distress ink!  I used Faded Jeans for my navy blue and sponged it all over the exposed rectangle and over the masked stars.  As the masks were so tiny, I made sure to pounce the ink with the cotton ball rather than drag it.


As masks this small and pointy can never be perfect, I pulled my aquabrush into use and added a little more ink where there were small halos.

Okay, you know where I am going with this card at this point!  So, now I had to create stripes.  I have some extra long post-its, but obviously they do not have sticky stuff the whole way across their length so I added some repositionable adhesive to the length of the torn stripe just to hold it down a bit better.


From here, I took my Fired Brick Distress ink and did some more pouncing to create some distressed stripes.


Once, the masks were all removed, I ran and washed my hands which were a patriotic red, white and blue.  The white being my extra pale never-able-to-suntan skin.  Now that I was uninked, I used my copic markers to give Dot a little bit of a pop.  I chose yellow for her suit as I already had 2 primary colors on my piece and figured I could not go wrong with 3 out of 3.


Here's how the final piece turned out!


I am entering this patriotic postcard in the following challenges:

Sisterhood of Crafters - Stars and Stripes

Shopping Our Stash - Red, White and Blue (or your flag colors)

Craft Your Passion - Red, White and Blue
Hope everyone has a fabulous 4th!

9 comments:

  1. Wow, this is stunning! I love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shar - I love this piece! The yellow outfit pops on that background and the CAS and elegant results of your technique & effort are stunning! I am delighted you entered your project in the “Red, White and Blue” Challenge - good luck!
    ~ginny
    Design Team - Craft Your Passions
    RubberMAD (http://ggetty.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this is FABULOUS! The yellow was a perfect choice to complement that powerful background. Love it! Thanks for coming to play with us at Shopping our Stash this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your flag technique on this card. Thanks for joining us for our "Red, White and Blue" challenge at Craft Your Passion.
    Anita
    DT CYP
    http://scrappyhappymommy.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Great job and thanks for the tutorial! LOVE IT! Thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood ‘Stars & Stripes’ challenge and please come back again soon!
    Darlene
    one of the 'Sistahs'
    The Sisterhood of Crafters
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous Fourth of July card! So bright & beautiful! Thanks for Shopping Your (patriotic!) Stash with us this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect! Love her here! So befitting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Belated 4th of July! I love what you have done here! So patriotic and classy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...