Saturday, July 13, 2013

A Little Bit Vintage, A Little Bit Rustic

Have you ever had one of those "Now, that's really me" feelings when making a card?  I had that today! Whoohoo!  I was having a ton of fun putting together samples for the new Rebel Challenge - Get Sketchy over at Rogue Redhead Designs and I went a little nutty with textural items but it was so fun!


Here's the sketch I was working from:

I wanted to make my creation really pop and that long side just seemed to tempting not to add a rustic touch with some cardboard.  I inked the ridges ever so slightly with Antique Linen Distress Ink just to define the edges.  Beneath the cardboard is the remaining scrap of a really pretty Autumn-inspired paper.  It's colors influenced my choice of inks for the main panel.   I also used a piece of handmade paper in the upper right. I joined the bottom and top sections with a little fun paper trim I picked up in a local stamp store.  I loved that the creator of the handmade paper had woven fibers all the way through the paper.   To compliment those fibers, I added the bundle of raffia as a make-shift bow.

The stamped bit was made by dragging a piece of glossy paper my craft sheet which had been inked and misted with Bundled Sage Distress Ink.  I then loaded up my blending tool with several colors of Adirondack alcohol ink.  I think I used Mushroom, Meadow, Butterscotch and Oregano.  I had prestamped the Cosmos Blossom in StazOn for positioning.  I then restamped the image on white, cut it out carefully and adhered it directly over the now inked one already printed.  I used my Creative Memories cutting system to create the oval and mat.  So that my oval would not flap in the wind due to the bumpiness of all my background items, I added some dimensionals on the right-side to prop up the back and keep everything on the level!

Stamp: Cosmos Blossom from Floricutlure (Rogue Redhead Designs)

I am also entering this card into the following challenges:

Lady Anne's Challenges - Anything Goes

Craft-Room Challenge - Vintage Stamping

Hope you get a chance to have one of those "that's definitely me" moments with your art today!

16 comments:

  1. Spotted your card over on SCS; it is just amazing! Love all of your rustic, earthy details, but especially love the alcohol ink technique. I don't own any alcohol inks, but I may be purchasing some soon, after seeing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the AI technique- that is awesome and really highlights the Cosmo- and your sketch is great too! I love all of the texture in the BG- great rustic look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely piece Shar and a great challenge, too! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so love this card thank you for sharing it with us at Craft-Room Challenge XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a stunning card Shar- love it!! Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Room Challenge, Debi x

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this! the textures are perfect. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a stunning art piece Sharon. I love your artsy so much! Thank you for playing along with us at Lady Anne's Stamp Challenge and we hope to see you again soon. Good Luck :)
    Hugs,
    Asmah
    [Lady Anne's Challenges DT Member]
    [Qinaahana Arts And Crafts ~ My Personal Blog]

    ReplyDelete
  8. A stunning card. Thanks for joining us at Craft Room Challenge and good luck with the draw. Julia xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your card, all the different textures are amazing. Thank You for sharing with us at Lady Anne's Challenges. I hope we see you again soon.
    Sharon
    Lady Anne's Stamp Challenge
    Lady Anne's: NanaVic's Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  10. loving your fab card Shar, so full of textural interest, hugs Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great sketch and card! Love all of the texture and details.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is terrific with all its different textures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous card, Shar--so many beautiful elements.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Shar,
    I think I like this one best of all the samples you made. It is an easy and fun sketch to play with.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...