Thursday, February 28, 2013

Embossing Ribbon

I love playing around with new techniques. I saw that Lis Whiting dry-embossed some ribbon in her Unruly PaperArts article from earlier this month

I have long wanted to try wet embossing ribbon and this was just the inspiration I needed!

What I found through trial and error is that you need to use a smooth textured ribbon and be mindful of the weight (thickness of the ribbon) as my gossamer thin fibres melted as soon as the heat gun came close. You should also be sure to firmly secure your ribbon during both the stamping and heating processes. I used Versamark to ink my ribbon.

Here's my first card with some simple embossed ribbon.  CASual Fridays was having a Touch of Silver Challenge so I jumped right in with some silver ribbon.


Stamps: sentiment and swimgers from Relish Reading; sequin waste background from
Behind the Scenes; cosmos blossom from Floriculture (Rogue Redhead Designs)
You can see a bit more of the embossing from the side view.

I've also entered this card into the following challenges:

Addicted to Rubber Stamps - Use Stamps (4 stamps used, 5 impressions)

Lady Anne - Anything Goes


In my next card, I was going for a monochrome feel.  I used a matte silver embossing powder so the end result would have a flatter appearance.  The sentiment reads "Life is the flower for which love is the honey".  My camera would not show both a good view of the embossing and a good view of the sentiment.  My light box was having a mutiny day :)

Stamps: sentiment and cosmos blossom from Floriculture (Rogue Redhead Designs)

I loved the look as it reminded me of embroidered or damask fabric.


I am entering this CAS card into the following challenges:

CASual Fridays - Touch of Silver

Ruby's Rainbow - In the Garden

For more great things to do with ribbon check out the February Issue of Unruly PaperArts!

8 comments:

  1. Loving both of your fab cards Shar and loving the embossed ribbon. Hugs Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shar. Love the embossed ribbon - what a fabulous technique - will have to give that a try. Both your cards are beautiful ... but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that single flower embossed on the wide ribbon - CAS perfection! Loll

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Chinese proverb. Thanks for joining us over at Ruby's Rainbow xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love the embossed ribbon technique. Never tried it, but now I need to. TY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. a wonderful card!

    thanks so much for playing along with us at Ruby’s Rainbow Challenges!

    hugs and kisses from germany,
    silvi xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great technique! Love your stamping and embossing! Thanks so much for playing along at ATSM! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful cards! Neat idea to stamp on that ribbon and what a beautiful effect it has! Thanks for joining us this week at ATS&M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What stunning cards and technique!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...