Saturday, January 14, 2012

Going Very Vintage and Retro Vintage

On Tuesday Morning Sketches, they have a great sketch AND a twist. The resulting card must be vintage in nature. I went two different ways with this one.

First, I went all traditional vintage with my Floriculture stamp set from RRD. I was inspired by the gorgeous Victorian Valentine my friend, Jean, made. She had inked around this same flower in soft, subtle hues. I decided to go slightly darker with mine.

I turned the sketch, shown below, 90 degrees for this first version.

For the ribbon element, I layered brown, olive and lace. The paper is from a Stampington magazine paper insert...see I am using up the stuff that is lying around my craft room.

For the two elements, I used a bit of hardware and a flower. The whole thing then came together.

Fleur
Stamps: lily of the valley and Fleur from Floriculture (Rogue Redhead Designs)
Paper: magazine insert from Take Ten (Stampington)
Cardstock: Very Vanilla (Stampin Up)
Ink: Tuxedo Black (Memento); Antique Linen, Old Paper, Wild Honey, Bundled Sage and Tye Dye (Ranger Distress Ink); Versamark marker
Copics: YR21, YR23, YR24 and YG23
Embellishments: brass hardware and brads; olive and chocolate ribbon; white lace; 2 prima flowers; mustard brad
Tools: heat tool
Other:
clear embossing powder (Judikins)

I am also entering this card into the following fantastic challenges:

Sugar Creek Hollow - Embossing (Lily was embossed before Distress ink added)

Samuel Taylors Crafts - Distress - 4 bottles of distress reinker up for grabs with this fab challenge

Gingersnap Creations - Ribbon

After I finished this card, I decided to go a different kind of vintage - not quite so far back - and make a little tribute to the 70s. For me a integral part of the 70s were the "Sunday funnies" including Peanuts, that fabulous old comic strip. I think I read it every day in the newspaper as well as on the weekend.

I had also pledged to start using my huge collection of stamps so two of the stamps below come from pizza box A aka my Animals and Architecture/Home box. You can see Snoopy, Charlie Brown's infamous dog, peeking out at the top of the box. Aha! Idea!

Here's my Snoopified version of the same Tuesday Morning sketch - this time stretched square and flipped horizontally but the right way up this time. It is a little squished..ah well.

Write Soon, Snoopy
Stamps: Snoopy and a Note from Snoopy (Stampibilities); sentiment from Bits and Pieces plate (Rogue Redhead Designs)
Paper: piece from 6x6 Oxford pad (BasicGrey)
Cardstock: Whisper White and Really Rust (Stampin Up)
Ink: Tuxedo Black (Memento)
Copics: C3, C5, E07, E09, E40, W0, W1, W3, YR02
Embellishment: olive ribbon
Tools: corner rounder

I am also entering this card into these awesome challenges:

Moving Along with the Times - Spots or Stripes

Gingersnap Creations - Ribbon

I am very excited that I have now started my year-long journey to use each one of my boxes and binders full of stamps. I'll be sticking with the "A" box and my Rogue stamps (they are permanently on my desk) all this week.

Also, I am pleased to say that all the papers used today were in my scrap basket just begging to be used. I finally figured out I won't have space for any new fun stuff until I use up my old fun stuff, so I am putting my paperaholic tendencies on the back burner while I deal with the 12 drawers (yup, I said 12) of paper I already have.

Have a fabulous rest of your Saturday! Hope you get some crafty and creative time too!

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for using stamps from the stash! Your cards are wonderful, and are an inspiration to others!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous cards Shar and good luck using up your stash. I keep trying but don't seem to make a dent in it.
    Happy Sunday.
    luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both terrific cards Shar and love your collection of cute stamps in the box. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The floral card is so pretty! I love the sponging around the stamped flower. And, your Peanuts card...brings back memories. :) I need to clean out my craft room, too. Thanks for joining us for the Tuesday Morning Sketch challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, WOW Love both the cards they are super, thanks for playing on MAWTT this week Hazelxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness me...what great 'Vintage' cards, Shar. Love the coloring on the floral image but...Snoopy is so adorable. I don't think it looks 'squished'. Thanks for sharing your cards with us at Tuesday Morning Sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are both amazing. Love the elegance of the first one, so classy and pretty. And the 70's feel on the second is adorable. Love Peanuts, I read the comics every day too, growing up. So glad you joined us at Tuesday Morning Sketches this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun cards! The floral one has such a nice, romantic feel...well done! Thank you for playing along with us at Tuesday Morning Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great cards! Really love the stacked ribbons/flowers on the top one and Snoopy will always bring a smile to my face :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two fabulous cards, love those snoopy images. I'm an going to try really hard and not buy any more stash until I have at least inked ALL of my stamps, lol. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always love Snoopy! Darling card. And, I love seeing what you do with that pretty flower- love your card!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous card! I love all the details - I wish I could victorian this well. Beautiful flower. Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Mornng Sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  13. both cards are darling but i especially love the one with the floriculture image. really sweet and touching card. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW - your floral card is just gorgeous! Of course, I love
    Snoopy too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awwwwwww Snoopy!!!!!!!! Love that card! Your floral card is soooo beautiful and perfectly vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great cards. Love the colour scheme on your floral card and the lace is so pretty. Thanks for joining us at Sugar Creek Hollow.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  17. Two wonderful card, love the colors of the first one and the Snoopy images.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wonderful card - love the spots and stripes . Thanks for joining us at MAWTT this week
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Many thanks for joining us at MAWTT this week with our Spots and Stripes and good luck with the challenge. I'm sorry I'm not too well and this comment has been copied and pasted, but I wanted to make sure I visited every blog that entered.
    I some blogaversary candies on offer on my blog if your interested.
    Hugs Laurie x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...