Sunday, January 9, 2011

Reading Decor

I was playing with tiles this weekend using Penny Bennington's great tutorial on creating alcohol ink backgrounds on ceramic tiles. I put my Relish Reading stamps to the test for this tile.

To start with, I stamped the Almanac background with Tea Dye Ranger Distress Ink on to a piece of tissue paper. I then added my lovely reading lady and the quote in the center with Stazon ink. To finish off I stamped the DayDream sentiment in Tea Dye Distress Ink and some flourishes for interest in Vintage Photo Distress Ink. While it is hard to see in the picture, I was able to get a subtle background with the Almanac stamp.

I then created my alcohol ink background on my ceramic tile using Butterscotch, Caramel and Terra Cotta Adirondack inks. Check out Penny's tutorial for all the steps. Once I had applied the tissue paper and let everything dry, I went back and did some light sanding to give the tile a distressed look.

Here's the final result.

Reading Decor Tile
Stamps: sitting girl, quote, daydream sentiment, Almanac background stamp and flourish from Relish Reading plate (Rogue Redhead Designs)
Paper: tissue paper
Ink: Tea Dye and Vintage Photo (Ranger Distress Ink); Butterscotch, Terra Cotta, and Caramel (Adirondack); Jet Black (StazOn)
Other: sandpaper, Glossy Accents (and I should have used Diamond Glaze like Penny said!)

While this was my first attempt at this kind of tile, I did make a second which can be seen on the Rogue Redhead blog.

11 comments:

  1. Wish that my first attempt at something looked this good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful Sharon! I checked out the tutorial, fantastic! Thanks for sharing. ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you have done here, Shar. I, too, thought that was an amazing tutorial and definitely one to try,

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link to the tutorial. I think your tile is just gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific tutorial and loving this pretty tile. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great tutorial and really beautiful piece of art.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this tissue paper background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it looks great, Shar!!! And I'm so glad you tried it. I love your addition of the sanding - I think a little distressing gives a project that extra special something. Nice job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tutorial is brilliant, your tile is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...