Wednesday, October 20, 2010

GC75: Arches...Mirror Mirror on the Wall

We've been "Going Goth" all month at Gingersnap Creations and this month's Random Redhead Challenge fits the bill perfectly with GC75: Arches! I chose to go Gothic Arch for my submission.


I have never tried this fabulous format, but I am always inspired by the fantastic art at Gothic Arch Challenge blog and I was absolutely captivated by Nancy Maxwell James' Gothic Arches Ebook.

I didn't use a template for this submission...guess I should have. But that's me! I'm a jump-right-in kind of person.

For the last gothically-inspired challenge I did, I went sort of cute so, as I have a reputation to uphold, I decided to go a little edgier on this one. I was inspired by some of the great paintings by Rene Magritte which feature mirrors not quite reflecting as they should. Magritte is a favorite painter of mine as I love his surreal art.



I just loved this vintage paper from My Mind's Eye and thought it would make a great backdrop for my arch. I stamped some flourishes onto the arch using a twist on a Technique Junkies technique called Vintage Photo stamping where you slightly offset two impressions of an image for a very cool effect. I stamped the flourishes from Blockhead Art Stamps with Tea Dye Distress Ink and then overstamped slightly ascue with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. I added a die-cut and inked die-cut and then my collage images, adding red eyes to the "mirrored" image.

I accented with a few words from an old spelling book after sponging more Tea Dye Distress Ink onto the designer paper.


Total fun! Do check out the awesome arches from the rest of the Gingers!

7 comments:

  1. Love this Shar - quite spooky, a bit unsettling... perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is stunning Shar. Although the girls are adorable there is something un-nerving about the image. Perfect!Lynne M x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My this is Outstanding!!!!
    I Love this Shar!
    Hugs Vada

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love the inspiration behind it; such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is edgy and a true inspiration - slightly scary. Love the effect of the Vintage photo stamping.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...