Thursday, August 19, 2010

Going Green

I've had this little planter for absolutely ages but I thought it needed a bit of fun dressing up! Inspired by the new Random Redhead Challenge to Go 3D on Gingersnap Creations, I added some paint, old text, botanical stamps and collage images to "spruce" it up with some greening.


For this side, I used a sweet image from Encanted Mercantile and a page from an old botanical text. I stamped a Stone House image of lilies onto the page and added some color with distress inks. I went with Scattered Straw on this side to correspond with the gold frame of the colalge image.


On the other side, I proceeded with the same formula with another Stone House stamp. This time I added a Tim Holtz embellishment too!

As you can see I added color again with Distress inks.

To create the painted background layer, I started by painting the whole planter with a yellow-green paint. I then overlaid 2 additional colors of green, an emerald and a pine. I used a dry brush technique to allow all the different layers to show through for an aged look.

I finished off the whole project with a few layers of sealer to protect the papers from the obvious damp that accompanies an active planter. Now, to find some nice herbs to plant in it!

Hope your day blooms with creativity!

18 comments:

  1. Lovely! It looks a like a bit of the Irish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shar! I'm adding one 'kind comment' to your blog....this piece is just darling! So much character...and wonderful color. I think I need to go back and look at that 'going green' theme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops...it's Going 3D! ;-) Green 3D, in this case!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful, Shar! I love the dry-brushed effect-- it's really a great way to get a vintage look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty :)). btw I sent you a couple of emails.. but not had reply.. are they in spam ?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! awesome way to repurpose!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great going green project are you sending it in to be published? you should!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shar
    this is fabulous! What a cool project and wonderful collage! I also want to thank your hubby for doing the Pan-Mass Challenge! How awesome. I have lost many family members to various cancers and appreciate his donation!
    Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! Shar, you're so clever with different media!! I so love this!! Clever design and collage girl!! TFS!! Have a wonderful weekend!!HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is sooooo beautiful!! What a great idea to "vintage up" a planter like that. Art and herbs - what a perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally agree with Lynn, this would be wonderful in Greencraft. An adorable project with the added bonus of being practical. Love it! Lynne M x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to dress up the planter! I especially love the stamping done on the text paper.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful way to alter the planter! Love the images!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great way of decorating a planter...Love the little metal tag!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty altered planter GF, luv green!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The decorated planter looks fabulous, love the stamping.

    ReplyDelete
  17. best planter ever! i love this artful piece. very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...