Wednesday, April 21, 2010

GC51: Botanical

I was inspired by a project I saw over on my friend Hels' blog, Ink on My Fingers, to make a tiled collage. I've seen so many of these lovely pieces on so many friends' blogs that I could not resist.

The new Random Redhead Challenge on Gingersnap Creations is Botanical!

I knew I wanted to add the word "Earth" into my project so when I created the tile pattern, I made sure to include enough correctly sized pieces. The idea to add a Y was a last minute one. Having made pieces before that I had to piece back together, I was smart this time and numbered the backs of the pieces as well as marked the ones I had picked out for letters.

I then cut the pieces out and assigned different tiles different Distress colors which I painted on using an aquapainter to give a washed look. I then sponged around the edges of each tile with Tea Dye Distress Ink. I used Vintage Photo to add the images and to add an additional minimal sponged edge.

As a final touch, I added some white pencil over some areas of each image to provide some lighter highlights. To bring down the white a wee bit, I rubbed over the penciled areas with my fingers.

After that, the last thing to do was to assemble and frame! I really like the way it turned out.

Earthy
Stamps:
flowers and background text from Country Girl and Beloved plates (Oxford Impressions); flowers and insects from 17th Century Flower and Bugs plate (Stone House); alphabet from Collage Caps set (My Sentiments Exactly); solid rose (Penny Black); sentiment (A Muse); vintage rose (Stampington)
Cardstock: watercolor paper
Ink: Vintage Photo, Tye Dye, Peeled Paint, Bundled Sage, Old Paper, Forest Moss, Crushed Olive, Antique Linen, Wild Honey, Scattered Straw and Spiced Marmalade (Ranger Distress Ink)
Tools: sponge; aquapainter (Stampin Up); Xyron machine
Other: gold frame

Inspiration is blooming over at Gingersnap Creations! Check out the lovely submissions from the Design Team and then grab your favorite botanical stamps and join in!

20 comments:

  1. This is so lovely - what a fabulous frame, it's a lovely shape and your tiles look great inside it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shar, this came out so beautifully!! Love your color palette, and the beautiful botanicals! The touch of white really makes the images pop, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is beautiful - I absolutely love the colors and design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! that is so lovely, the colors are pefection and how pretty in that frame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this--it's really beautiful. I might have to try this since I'm also too scared to try polymer clay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, this is STUNNING! Wow, Shar, you took this technique and sent it straight into the stratosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The farame is yummy give the correct air to your scrummy creation!

    Love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what a beautiful project, I am so inkspired by this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! Beautiful colour choice and the white pencil really makes it "pop". Lynne M x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous Shar. I must make something similar for my little craft room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy! What a great inspiration this is for the theme and Earth day! LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful. There is nothing I don't love about it..I hope it is going to take pride of place somewhere special.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful creation! Numbering the tiles--lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning creation! Love how you used the distress inks to accomplish this look! I'll have to remember your numbering tip...I'm a tad forgetful myself! lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. ohhhhh It looks even better framed! Tis really Lovely Shar
    looks like a ton of work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's what I was thinking, Lynn. It's lovely on it's own, but you put it in a frame and wow!

    Very fine!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just found your blog , and wow!
    you are very ""inspirational""
    I am now a follower of you happy place! come by and see me too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shar, This is a beautiful project. Love the colors and the frame is perfect...Great Job GF!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is beautiful, Shar. They are difficult, aren't they, but yours is perfect,

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...