Wednesday, October 28, 2009

GC28: Thankfulness Challenge

With the chill weather approaching, Thanksgiving seems just around the corner. My favorite part of this holiday is counting my blessings, my friends, and my happy times. When I do that, I inevitably think of someone I should thank for just being wonderful and being kind.


This week at Gingersnap Creations, the new Random Redhead Challenge asks you to work with this theme of thankfulness.

To create my card for this challenge, I tried out some cool new digital vellum paper I got from PaperTemptress. What I loved was that even though it is translucent, it is not completely see-thru thus allowing what I placed on the vellum to stand out but still be softly impacted by my background. Much better than being lost in the shuffle. I often fight with my vellum trying to find the perfect placement so what is on it will show up. No problems like that with this paper....and too cool...you can actually put it through your laser or ink jet printer to print sentiments or some cool digital stamps. Fab paper!

Okay, onto what I did with it. First, I used Distress Inks to create a soft transitioning color scheme of oranges and reds with this way too gorgeous medallion from Cornish Heritage Farms. To see how I achieved this effect, check out the tutorial I did on Gingersnap Creations.

I then added the sentiments, "Thank You" and "Beauty is Found in Every Act of Kindness", to my panel using Memento ink. I layered this with one of fav designer papers, Autumn Blossoms from the now sadly gone Daisy D's. Finishing it off, I used an Eggplant base to pull out the purples in the designer paper.

Here's what it looks like when it all came together:

Beauty in Every Act of Kindness
Stamps: medallion and sentiments from Ornamental Beauty (Cornish Heritage Farms)
Paper: Autumn Blossoms (Daisy D's); digital vellum paper (PaperTemptress)
Cardstock: Elegant Eggplant (Stampin Up)
Ink: Rich Cocoa (Memento); Mustard Seed, Fired Brick and Spiced Marmalade (Ranger Distress Inks)
Other: vellum adhesive (Tombo)

To see what the Gingersnap Design Team did with this theme, check out the challenge post!

8 comments:

  1. How funny, this card came thru my email and I loved it! That was b4 I read the posting and now I REALLY LOVE IT, LOL!! The vellum that you are talking about is very cool, I really like it. Love the design, I will definitely be copying this one! I am so excited about sponsoring Gingersnap Creations in November! It is going to be sooo much fun.

    Patricia
    the PaperTemptress

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, loving the colours on this hun, tis gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work as always. And aww I didnt know Daisy D's had gone- I really liked some of their designs. :0(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful autumnal colors and creation! oh I am so Lovin your new blog header and layout!
    I must go see what else she has!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh this is very vibrant and pretty. I love that medallion. me thinks I have to have it. I just love the way you use distress inks. I really need to pull mine out. I have all the colors. Do I use them? ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love what you did with the colors on your image. A really beautiful layout!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really beautiful! Love your new blog b/ground - BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shanon, this is brilliant!
    Blessings, Maria

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...