Thursday, August 13, 2009

GC19: Chipboard - Yes, Sharon can Scrap!

I am behind on my scrapbooks, but I haven't given up! Here's a page I made of my daughter at the beach using Gingersnap Creations' Spicy Supply Chipboard Challenge as inspiration!

I got these great starfish chipboard pieces ages ago at a Scrapbook Convention, so I thought they would add some texture and dimension.


To sharpen my patterned paper skills, I picked up this great book, Playing with Paper by Angelina Wigginton. I love all her tips and composition advice.

For the page below, I used Chapter 2 of Playing with Papers entitled "The Power of Three" for inspiration. In this fun chapter, Angelina describes how to coordinate 3 patterned papers successfully. I always keep my pages simple for fear of ending up with a page that's overwhelming, but Angelina's great tips showed me how to put together something very pleasing which let my pictures pop!

She suggests combining a striped paper, a print with a simple pattern and a patterned page which could pass for a solid (ie subtle pattern or texture). She shows lots of wonderful examples of how to make it all work.

I used my own rules of 3 for this page as well - 3 pictures, 3 elements and a 1/3 and 2/3 split with the papers. I even made 3 slightly different frames, using Technique Junkies' torn frames technique for the middle one to give a little contrast.

I love how it came out!

Beach Babe Scrapbook Page
Stamps: Nautical (Impression Obsession); Playful Heart alphabet (Ma Vinci's Reliquary)
Paper: Beachcombers and Tidepools double-sided papers from the Christine Adolph line (Creative Imaginations)
Cardstock: Not Quite Navy and Very Vanilla (Stampin Up)
Ink: Night Quite Navy, stamped off once, and Creamy Caramel for inking the flower (Stampin Up); Rich Cocoa (Memento); computer printed journaling
Embellishments: 2 chipboard starfish; 1 paper flower (Kaiser Scrapbook); 3 light brown buttons; 3 pieces of raffia (Panacea Products)

For more patterned paper resources, check out our Manufacturer's Mania at Gingersnap Creations or join our Yahoo Group and get access to our Paper Resources Database!

You've got lots of time to get in on this great challenge! It's open until September 6th!

But time is running out... to get your application in for our first Gingersnap Creations design team call! Applications are being accepted until August 15th! Get yours in now!

3 comments:

  1. Love love love your layout!!! The pictures really shine, and your choice of patterned papers really compliments them beautifully!! (Your daughter looks like she's posing as a starfish... was that intentional?!?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful page Sharon! That starfish is a wonderful accent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole page is just so breautiful. I love your on the beach creations too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...