Monday, April 27, 2009

Dotty Washes and Fun Challenges

I began the day wanting to do a card for the recent Gingersnap Creations GC06 Chestnut Challenge - theme Gardening. Imagine my delight when I checked the Rubbernecker blog and saw that they too had a challenge - Wacky Wednesday #8: use buttons and/or chipboard! Whoohoo! Now, I had a theme and an embellishment to stimulate my creative juices.

I have been working with washes over the last few weeks so I thought it might add a nice touch to my garden card. To find out how to do a simple base wash, check out my tutorial on Gingersnap Creations .

I started with a simple base wash in Certainly Celery ink for this card. I wanted to vary the colors a bit more in this particular background so I tried this neat little trick. I dipped my fingers in clean water and made dots over the still wet wash.

I then blotted the excess water off with a paper towel.


The result looked a bit too spotty for my planned card.


My fix: I rewet my brush with clean water and brushed the entire background with water. I really liked how it all finished up with lots of small variations of color and shadow.


I used this simple background in conjunction with a large collage stamp with a garden theme from Rubbernecker Stamp Company along with a coordinating sentiment from the same company.


A Beauty All It's Own
Stamps: garden collage and sentiment (Rubbernecker Stamp Company)
Cardstock: Certainly Celery and Always Artichoke (Stampin' Up); watercolor paper
Ink: Certainly Celery reinker and Always Artichoke (Stampin' Up); Rich Cocoa (Memento)
Embellishments: 2 celery buttons (s-e-i); fiber (EK Success)

Gotta love serendipity right?

My crazy schedule is calming down, so I hope to post more over the next couple of weeks!

10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, gorgeous! I love how you "play" and come up with these fabulous ideas! I'm way too traditional and rarely step outside my box. Maybe its time.....

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool idea! Love how your background turned out, and the collage-y stamp is perfect on there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a really cool technique!! This is so pretty!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous, love the torn edge...thanks for playing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just live the background you created. Well done! It's a lovely card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops- I meant to say love not live...........

    It is a great card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful job with this Sharon. I love how it turned out with using the brush over the background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great technique, Sharon and a super card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. BEAUTIFUL card!!!
    I really like how you did the sentiment!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...