Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Birthday Butterfly Dreams

All my nieces have their birthdays within a few months. My smallest niece will be celebrating her 7th birthday in mid-February. I wanted to create something soft and delicate so I decided on a Spring theme with butterflies. To achieve a soft look, I decided to resort to my favorite coloring technique, watercoloring, using soft pastel colors.

Butterfly Birthday Dreams
Stamps:
Happy Birthday from Warmest Regards set and Butterfly from Natural Beauty set (Stampin Up); Looking at Butterfly (Stamp Francisco)
Paper: Oh Baby from the Gracie line (BasicGrey)
Cardstock: Pumpkin Pie and Real Red (Stampin Up); watercolor paper
Ink: Timber Brown (StazOn); Pumpkin Pie, More Mustard, Really Rust, Ruby Red, Blush Blossom, Old Olive, Garden Green, Chocolate Chip and Close to Cocoa
Embellishment: novelty button
Tools: aquapainter

I used two different colors on the grass to try and give it a bit more depth. I brushed on Old Olive to start and then outlined all the stems of the flowers with Garden Green. I then used a more watered-down version of Garden Green to wash over random areas of grass.

I tried to keep the girl very soft. I decided to use several tones of yellows, oranges, reds and browns using my designer paper as a jumping off point. I painted the image and let it dry and then painted shadows and outlines to give a more dimensional appearance to the image.

Three nieces and three very different cards.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful card. Your niece will love it, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card, Shar! Love your colouring! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's just stunning! I love everything about it, especiall the colors. You wouldn't the combination would work, but it so striking. I love the softness of it. I've never seen this girl stamp before. I think I'm going to have to have it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...