Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thursday's Technique - Watercoloring

31 Days of Holiday Cards Continues!

I love to watercolor. It is one of my passions. I could sit and paint all day...and often have!

There are several different ways to watercolor. Some people use an aquapainter, a palette and re-inkers. Others get a watercolor effect by misting their stamp after inking and applying to watercolor paper. I, personally, use an aquapainter and pick up colors which I have stamped on my acrylic blocks with my stamping spots or cat's eyes.

Quick Tip: If you use the acrylic block method, slide a piece of white paper under the block so you can see your ink better. A quick spritz of stamp cleaner and a swipe with a paper towel will clean the block.

Here's my watercolored card:

Faux Pointsettas
Stamps:
flower outline, flower center & sentiment from Delight in Life set (Stampin Up)
Paper: green gingham (Provocraft stack I think....)
Cardstock: Garden Green (Stampin Up); watercolor paper
Ink: Real Red, Yoyo Yellow, Garden Green (Stampin Up); Timber Brown (StazOn)
Tools: aquapainter

To add foliage to this card, I masked the flowers and stamped the solid flower image over the outlined flowers. The solid flowers added leaf-like details. After I had finished, I added a thin, watered down layer of Garden Green to the open areas of the piece to soften the stark white of the watercolor paper.

For the flowers, I applied Real Red to all petals. I let the flowers dry and then added more Real Red around the edges and center of the flowers. I like the extra depth I can get using a second layer of painting.

16 down, 15 to go!

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...