Monday, April 7, 2008

Happy Colors

The process of watercoloring has a soothing quality for me. I love playing with the colors and details. I also love the wonderful painted look of the finished piece. Last week, I stamped numerous images with Staz-On onto watercolor paper. Over the last few days I have been able to paint several of these images and create some new Spring-inspired cards.

This elegant flower and verse from B Line Stamps called for very subtle coloring and a simple design so that the beauty of the image could be the focus. I used a couple of purples and two shades of green for the plant. I floated some deep yellow behind the verse to give it some softness and to ground it. Once again, I used an AquaPainter (Stampin Up) to apply the lightest colors first. After the first layer had dried, I added shade and shadow with the darker colors.



Born Not Made
Stamp:
Flower Lover (B Line Designs)
Cardstock: Dark Green (brand unknown); Chocolate Brown (brand unknown); watercolor paper
Paper: textured tan (PC Bitty Scrap Pad - Soft Serenity)
Inks: Always Artichoke, Mellow Moss, Almost Amethyst, Lavender Lace, and So Saffron (Stampin Up); Timber Brown Staz-On
Tools: AquaPainter (Stampin Up)

Guess I still have tulips on the brain. This card uses an beautiful tulip image from Outlines Rubber Stamp Company. I stamped the image on watercolor paper with Staz-On and then painted over the picture with soft purples, blues and greens.


Painted Blooms
Stamp:
Tulips (Outlines Rubber Stamp Company)
Cardstock: Dark purple and lilac (brand unknown); watercolor paper
Inks: Always Artichoke, Mellow Moss, Almost Amethyst, Lavender Lace, Ballet Blue (Stampin Up); Timber Brown Staz-On
Tools: AquaPainter (Stampin Up); crimper

From beautiful blooms, I moved on to peaceful pastures. My pastures all have sheep in them today. These fun images come from a single stamp from Magenta. I separated the trio of little landscapes and matted them in chocolate brown.


Wooly Trio
Stamp: Sheep Trio (Magenta)
Cardstock: Dark green and chocolate brown (brand unknown); watercolor paper
Paper: probably from a stack, but brand unknown - I'm using up lots of older papers
Inks: Always Artichoke, Hunter Green, Old Olive, Ballet Blue (Stampin Up); Timber Brown Staz-On
Tools: AquaPainter (Stampin Up)

The last card is still wooly but more light-hearted. The main image and the sentiment are from Penny Black.

Think Spring Sheep
Stamps:
Sheep (Penny Black); Think Spring (Penny Black)
Cardstock: Medium green (brand unknown); chocolate (brand unknown); watercolor paper
Paper: Presidio (BasicGrey)
Inks: Always Artichoke, Certainly Celery, Bashful Blue, Ruby Red, Pixie Pink (Stampin Up); Timber Brown Staz-On
Embellishments: Aged bronze brads

Keep thinking Spring!

1 comment:

  1. Love the watercoloring on the Flower Lover card. Ali

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...