Sunday, March 9, 2008

Hopping with Bunnies!

I am a little bunny-obsessed at the moment. These little cuties were just calling out for cards to live on.

Magic in the Air
Stamps: Bunny Bath, Spring Love, Spring Magic (Penny Black)
Cardstock: Rose Red & Pumpkin Pie (Stampin Up)
Paper: from Pocket Full of Posies Matstack by DCWV
Ink: Timber Brown Staz-On; Rose Red, Pumpkin Pie, Really Rust, Creamy Caramel, Close to Cocoa, Chocolate Chip, Cameo Coral, Certainly Celery, Mellow Moss, Pale Plum, Perfect Plum, and Bashful Blue (Stampin Up)

For the above card, I tried out more color layering. I have started to use two or three layers of color when I watercolor rather than just different strengths of the same color. For the bunny above, for example, I started by coloring his pink cheeks with Cameo Coral. I then applied a layer of Creamy Caramel to the whole bunny. I let that dry for a bit...actually, I worked on the mouse and birdbath until the color had time to sink in and I could add another layer. When I returned to my bunny, I added shadows with Close to Cocoa.

The birdbath, though a simple element, was filled in completely with Pale Plum and then shadowed with Perfect Plum. The layered shadowing seems like it would be a small detail, but I find it transforms the look of the image. I really notice a difference between these cards and the ones I have watercolored before.

Thoughts of a Pansy Spring
Stamps: Pansy Bunny, Think Spring (Penny Black)
Cardstock: Brocade Blue, Perfect Plum & Certainly Celery(Stampin Up)
Paper: from Pocket Full of Posies Matstack by DCWV
Ink: Timber Brown Staz-On; Rose Red, Pumpkin Pie, Really Rust, Creamy Caramel, Close to Cocoa, Chocolate Chip, Cameo Coral, Certainly Celery, Mellow Moss, Pale Plum, Perfect Plum, and Bashful Blue (Stampin Up)

On this card, I used the lines of the foliage and petals as a guide to add darker details. For the flowers I added brushstrokes starting in the middle of the flower and flowing through to the center of each petal. For the foliage, I just followed the visible veins of each leaf. Lots of practice and trail and error are required to get the look I want but I think future experiments will be well worth it.

0 kind comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...